I’m a fan of Old Spice products. I love the smell; the entire brand represents masculinity and I for some reason remember that my Papaw used Old Spice deodorant. Perhaps it’s a bit nostalgic for me, but regardless, I am a sucker for anything with a scent that I can’t get enough of.
The commercials are random and fun and break through the advertising clutter. Old Spice advertising has done pretty well, but it’s about to get even more awesome.
Wieden + Kennedy is the advertising firm behind the Old Spice brand. They also represent Coca-Cola, Converse, Facebook, Nike and other big name brands. On Monday, Widen + Kennedy launched a search for a social strategist for the Old Spice account. What’s the big deal? They didn’t ask for just your resume and samples of your best work. Instead, Widen + Kennedy asked those interested in the job to participate in a series of challenges.
Monday, Oct. 29, participants have five days to complete the following:
- Challenge 1 – Create the best original Pinterest board dedicated to the sport of inline speed skating (NOT roller-hockey).
- Challenge 2 – Create and post an original piece of content to Reddit that then receives the most upvotes in a single week.
- Challenge 3 – Create and upload to SlideShare an original, in-depth competitive analysis of the Ed Hardy social media ecosystem.
- Challenge 4 – Get the most people to friend your mother or your father (or a parent-like figure in your life) on Facebook in a single week.
- Challenge 5 – Create an original (new) Twitter account and then use it to get the most followers in a week using any verbs you like, but only the following nouns: “BLUEFUDGE,” “HAMMERPANTS” and “GREEK YOGURT.”
- Challenge 6 – Create an original YouTube video that then receives the most plays in a single week using this script verbatim:
#1: “Wait. What are you doing?”
#2: “Trust me. This will be fine.”
#1: “Ok. Go ahead.”
- Challenge 7 – Get recommendations on LinkedIn from at least three other people trying to get this job.
- Challenge 8 – Create the most reviewed recipe on allrecipes.com in a single week using cottage cheese as an ingredient. The reviews don’t have to be good.
- Challenge 9 – Upload the most pictures of your armpit(s) to Instagram during the course of this challenge. The pictures must have your face in them to verify your identity and include the hashtag #mypits.
- Challenge 10 – Using Quora, give thought-out, meaningful answers to as many dream catcher-related questions as possible in a single week.
You can read the rules here.
Congratulations in advance to the winner! If you successfully complete all ten challenges, you are more than deserving of this job.
Not only will Widen + Kennedy have a more than qualified new member of its team, Old Spice will be pleased, too. I mean, if you were Old Spice, what would you think of an advertising firm launching such a thing, all for you? That is how to demonstrate you care about your clients and how to build long-lasting, mutually beneficial relationships.